CHRISTIAN FRIENDS

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Massive Storms and Helping Others



A BLOG A DAY KEEPS MY MIND FRESH AS MESH




What's new, in this world, besides the massive storm outbreak that came barreling across the Southeast, with most of damage areas located in Alabama and Georgia.

What we seen were super cell storms, and I mean they were nasty. They seemed to be coming in a line from Alabama straight down I-20 in Georgia, and they were some really intense storms, with high lighting and rain, of course there was the tornado that was spotted and everyone seemed to be glued to the television or their radio.

People like my family were glued to the television coverage which was wall to wall, and all the local channels suspended programs and stayed with the storm coverage, which was great.

One part of the news video were showing cars and trucks, pulling over under the underpasses, along the interstate highways. Of course most people that were stopping was because they could not see through the heavy rain, and they thought it was safer to stay parked off the highway. At one point part a section of interstate highway I-20 was closed, due to several cars that had all been involved in wrecks.

What a time, my family went from the upstairs of our suburban home, fleeing into the downstairs basement to ride out the storm. We stayed then we decided to come back upstairs, only to head back down stairs in our basement for what was round two of this storm. In between storm one and storm two I had already went to my neighbors who live next to our home because the couple are older, and the husband is on hospice, and in a hospital bed, and I knew they needed help, so being a good neighbor, I wanted to help him move from his hospital bed to the hallway of their home ,just so I knew they were safe. That is what I believe neighbors or for, to help, in times of need.

Well getting back home, and after round two of the storms passed by with more threating, all I could think of was how GOD would bless our home, so without hesitation, my wife and myself returned to our upstairs, and I thought if GOD wants to take us he will, and so the storms past, and today is a sunny day, colder but sunny, and we all made it through the storm.

These storms belted Whitesburg Georgia, and a friend of mine's old home was beat bad, but thank GOD no tornado touched down are was anywhere around.
When I thought of how that hail was coming down and I knew it was in Whitesburg, Georgia, I was also thinking of West Georgia Speedway and was this storm about to uproot this historic track, well it is amazing but the Promoter and Owner of West Georgia Speedway, Sammy Duke talked with me this evening, and he said that at his house 1 mile away he had broken porches, and busted out windows, from the hail that hit his home. He informed me that his family members all went into the hallway of their old home and were laying on the floor, when I asked Sammy what he did he said he was just watching the storm pass over and hearing the crashing of the windows in his home. He also informed me he never went to the hallway he said the if "GOD wanted him, then GOD would take him", and you know that made perfect sense to me because like I said after the 2nd time coming from the basement I left it all in God's mighty hands, he knows what will happen.

Getting back to my conversation with Sammy Duke, we are thrilled that nothing happened to anything at the race track, and we are more happy that a young 13 year old boy will be getting some real seat time in at West Georgia Speedway, I mean, Matt Dooley is the real deal, he is not a phony, he respects other drivers and that means so much. Sammy told me that we had a real superstar in the making and that he hoped Matt would always remember West Georgia Speedway as he climbed that ladder of success.
He comes from a well known bread of Dirt Car champs and that is the great Ricky Williams who is Matt's uncle, then his father Scott Dooley owns and operates his own Automotive Machine parts company.
Matt has been driving for years on other tracks, and he has that look in his eye that same look that I seen in the young eye's of Nascar driver now, Reed Sorenson, plus the eye's of someone that has a vision for winning, and not being a know it all.
So now that all the storms have passed us by, lets get back to thinking about racing and winning and the task at hand.

I sure hope your families were safe and sound through those tremendous storms, and pray for anyone that may have been hurt or worse killed.

Thanks and enjoy your family and night at your home, remember life can be short.

Tino Patti
a Freelance Photographer/video journalist
MSA reporter




No comments: